Submissions are accepted for the James Ligon Price III Memorial 2021 Poetry Prize offered in collaboration with the academy of america poets University and College Poetry Awards Program
Judged by J. Drew Lanham – J. Drew Lanham is a former professor emeritus of wildlife ecology in the Department of Forestry and Environmental Conservation at Clemson University. He received his PhD in Forest Resources (Wildlife) from Clemson in 1997. Lanham has published non-fiction and poetry inspired by his passion for environmental stewardship. His Sparrow Envy: Birds and Minor Beasts Field Guidewas recently reissued by Hub City Press in 2021. The Home Place: Memoirs of a Colored Man’s Love Affair with Nature (Milkweed Editions, 2016) won the 2017 Southern Book Prize, the Southern Environmental Law Center Reed Award and was a finalist for the John Burroughs Medal. Helen Macdonald, author of H is for Hawkcalled The reception place “A groundbreaking work on race and the American landscape, and a deep meditation on nature, individuality, and the nature of home. It’s thoughtful, heartfelt, wise, and beautiful. I want everyone to read it.
This reading is funded in part by the Sandra Nelson Memorial Poetry Fund.
First place: cash scholarship and one-year membership in the AAP
Second and third places: cash prize
- Submit 1-3 poems in pdf format to Mary Ann Gera – email@example.com or the Richardson 102 office.
- Attach a cover sheet showing the title(s) of the submitted poem(s), the author’s name, email address, and an on-campus mailbox number
- Make sure the copies of the poems themselves do not contain any identifying information
- All submissions must be submitted by 4 p.m. on Tuesday, November 16, 2021
- The competition is only open to current SLU students
***Winners will be announced on Moving Day 2022***
Questions? Email English office~ firstname.lastname@example.org