BERKELEY COUNTY, SC – The Berkeley County Library System (BCLS) invites residents to enter the Berkeley County Library System Poetry Contest for a chance to win a first, second or third prize in the installments of the following ages:
- Children from 6 to 12 years old;
- Teenagers 13 to 17 years old;
- Adults 18 and over
The selection of winners will be as follows:
- 1st Venue = $50 cash;
- 2n/a Location = $25 cash;
- 3rd Location = $15 cash
The poetry contest is sponsored by the Friends of the Berkeley County Library System who provided the prizes.
- Entrants must reside in Berkeley County with one entry per person.
- The poem is the entrant’s original work and is no longer than 250 words.
- Online and print entries must use Times New Roman serif font, size 12 in PDF, DOC or DOCX file format.
- Entries must not contain profanity or graphic content.
- Participants under the age of 18 must have permission from a parent/guardian to participate.
- All entries are final. No substitutions or modifications will be permitted after submission.
- Entrants can submit a poem by visiting the Poetry Contest or in person at any branch of the BCLS Library from March 21-26, 2022.
Poetry Judging Criteria:
- Adheres to the theme of the poetry contest and uses poetic language, such as alliteration, onomatopoeia, imagery, metaphors, and similes to enhance the poem.
- Uses rhythm or rhyme for understanding and elevation.
- Grammar and punctuation, if included, are used to convey consistent meaning.
- Voice and tone are used for imagery.
- First, second and third place winners will be selected from each age group by a panel of judges using a 10-point scoring system.
- Poems may be published on Berkeley County media channels.
- On Friday, April 1, 2022, the BCLS Moncks Corner Library will host a Poetry reading / Microphone evening. The winners of each category will be invited to read their poems.
- All participants will have the opportunity to read their poem.
- RSVP is requested for this in-person event which will include light refreshments.
If you like what you read, consider liking us on: Facebookby subscribing to our newsletter and follow us on Twitter and instagram. Feel free to also join our Facebook groups: Residents of Berkeley County, SC: What’s on your mind?, Berkeley County Real Estate: Land and Homes for Sale/Rent and Jobs in Berkeley County, South Carolina: find a job or post a job.
Pst!!! Do you have something to say and want to join your neighbours? Not everyone is on social media. Check out our neighboring forum today and start a conversation. It’s easy! No registration/login is required to post. We’ll even amplify your forum post on Facebook to reach more people as well. [CLICK HERE TO START THE CONVO]