Rise and shine, Shirley-Mastic! It’s Thursday, so let’s start with everything you need to know about Shirley-Mastic today.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Softer with clouds and sunshine. High: 46, Low: 29.
Here are today’s top 5 stories at Shirley-Mastic:
- William Floyd High congratulates senior Amber Martinez on winning the Long Island Regional Poetry Aloud Contest. Martinez will now bring his literary and linguistic talents to the The New York State Finals to be held virtually on Saturday, March 12. (Press Release Desk)
- The MMS Community Library will host a college and career planning workshop on March 12. This workshop will help you achieve your future career and college goals with the help of the Associate Director of Admissions at St. Joseph’s College. The event will start at 10am (MMSCL)
- The William Floyd School District’s varsity cheerleading squad ends the winter season with a spectacular performance. The Colonials have been training to be part of the college games and it is obvious that the group is succeeding and will continue their good work for the next season! (Press Release Office)
- News nearby: Jardin Café opens in Patchogue, serving a variety of healthy dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The new restaurant has taken over the vacancy at 90 E. Main St. that NOLE left in 2020. The Garden Café menu ranges from vegan to protein options with a variety of sides and beverages to please every palate! (Greater Long Island)
- The City of Brookhaven is transferring $1.5 million that was to be spent on federal rent relief and using the money to invest in relief payments. The Emergency Rent Assistance grants will be used to help low-income tenants who have experienced financial hardship during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Newspaper/Subscription required)
Today Shirley-Mastic Daily is brought to you in part by Newrez, one of the nation’s leading mortgage lenders. Make a a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to get in touch with a Newrez Loan Officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS #3013)
- Suffolk weather: “Mattituck senior Joe Sparacio capped off his wrestling career with a perfect ending, recently winning his first state championship in Albany.” (Instagram)
- The Patchogue Chamber of Commerce offers the BARK Ranger Hike for dogs and their human companions. On March 12 at 10 a.m., everyone is invited to come to Fire Island with your four-legged friend to enjoy the ocean before summer! Register for this event as places are limited. (CoC Patchogue)
- The Bayport-Blue Point St. Patrick’s Day Parade is scheduled for 11 a.m. this Saturday! The parade will begin at Montauk Highway and end at Montauk Highway and Blue Point Avenue. Music and great entertainment will be provided to ensure attendees have a great time and learn about and celebrate the Irish community and culture. (Room)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Do you like the Shirley-Mastic Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You are now in the loop and ready to start this Thursday. I’ll join you early tomorrow with a new update!
— Debora WhiteHead